Designing atmospheric adventure games as the
Design Director of indie studio Forgotten Key.
Vind – Trailer
Vind – Full walkthrough
Down the Well – Trailer
During my time at Forgotten Key I have worked on a wide variety of features, from systems design to game feel and narrative. My role includes overseeing the design process for the studio, forming methodologies for the design team and producing features in accordance with the experience pillars set by myself and the Game Director. An important aspect of my work is to clearly communicate the design vision to the rest of the team, and I regularly attend and organize director meetings where all aspects of the project are discussed among representatives of all professions. I have taken part in producing pitch materials for several projects and have an attentive attitude towards the project’s stakeholders and market movements.
My design-related work experience at Forgotten Key includes:
- Holistic design work on atmospheric adventure titles with crafting elements.
- Writing almost all dialogue and lore texts for both Vind and Down the Well.
- Concept and prototype development on third person close-combat systems (not present in demos).
- Character controller and camera design, both on paper and balancing/tweaking technical implementations.
- Physics based puzzle design in an open world setting.
- Analogue prototyping and in-house testing as part of an iterative development process.
- Game design documentation and clear communication of vision to other studio members.
My project-related work experience at Forgotten Key includes:
- Coaching and giving clear feedback to other designers from all areas; narrative, gameplay and level design.
- Regularly organizing design meetings where all designers feedback each others’ work.
- Developing methodology for game development (design and general) at the studio.
- Organizing and establishing an agile project methodology including sprint reviews, backlogs and check-up meetings.